Which scanners can you use with Invisalign?
Feb 07, 2022
There is not one week, one day, that I don't receive that question from a colleague:
"Which scanners are compatible with Invisalign?"
Is it only the iTero, owned by Align, that can be used to send cases to Invisalign?
The answer: NO!
Not everyone knows it, but Align accepts case submission for its clear aligner products in two ways:
- Physical impressions of the patient's teeth using PVS and Align's own trays (provided by Align)
- Intraoral scan of the patient's teeth
Align just released on Feb 7, 2022, that they settled an outstanding litigation with 3Shape. So as of today, the list of third party intraoral scanners that can be used for Invisalign case submissions are:
- 3M True Definition Scanner
- Dentsply Sirona CEREC Omnicam scanner
- 3Shape Trios2, Trios 3 scanners, incl. Trios 3 Basic
Please note that this list can change with time. To make sure you stay up to date in the future, check the list of the qualified third party intraoral scanners Align Technology has put on their website. You can find it here: list of third-party intraoral scanners. But don't worry; we will keep you posted 😉
Important to know:
- The CEREC Omnicam scanner is compatible, but the PrimeScan IS NOT
- 3Shape Trios are only accepted outside of US, Japan and China
- If you are just starting with Invisalign and you are not sure if you will get serious with it (if you stick with us, you will!) and have one of the scanners on the list but not an iTero: start with the one you have! Do a couple of cases. Then if you see that you want to become serious (or a Master of CLEAR Aligners), it will be a good idea to invest in an iTero.
- You don't have any scanner and now is not a good time to invest money in one: take PVS impressions! This is how we started in 2004... and it worked! Start doing cases and you will see that this could be the solution to that money problem.
We have the Omnicam and we have iTero scanners at the office. For Invisalign we only use the iTeros. But not only for Invisalign. There are some features that are unique to the iTero scanners like the Invisalign Outcome Simulator (IOS) and the Timelapse. Because of these features, it's not only an Invisalign scanner, but it becomes a diagnostic tool. And don't forget all the prosthodontic side of it. It is the perfect tool for general dentists.
If you want to know more about the Invisalign Outcome Simulator, watch this video: